This post contains affiliate links. To learn more visit our disclosure page.
Are you the type of basketball player who has all the skills but struggles with finishing at the rim? Sometimes who wins and loses is determined by athleticism no matter how much you practice shooting and dribbling. The best players are the planet are also some of the most relentless when it comes to training.
If you do struggle to finish at the rim or desire to throw down your first dunk then this is the article for you. We’ve reviewed many vertical jumping programs and have narrowed it down to the top four programs that are available for sale.
Any one of these programs will add several inches to your vertical. While we do not make promises about dunking after completing any one of these programs your ability to jump higher and get buckets driving to the rim will undoubtedly be improved.
If you are reasonably athletic your chances of being able to dunk after completing one of these programs will be greatly improved, and practically everyone can expect to gain 6+ to their vertical.
Four Best Vertical Jump Programs
Now that you have a summary of each vertical jump program from the chart above, here are our in depth reviews of each program.
1. Vert Shock
We are very familiar with Vert Shock and wrote an extensive review going over the pros and cons of the program. Vert Shock was created by Adam Folker and utilizes many great plyometric exercises to increase your vertical jump by 6 or more inches over the course of the eight week program.
The Vert Shock program is broken down into three “phases”: The pre-shock phase, shock phase, and post shock phase. Each phase has a specific purpose and works to enhance and maximize your vertical jumping gains.
What We Like About Vert Shock:
- Layout of the program is easy to follow and understand
- The exercises in the Vert Shock program can be done in the comfort of your own home with minimal gym equipment required
- Videos are up to date and done in high quality HD so that you can see exactly how to do each exercise with proper form
- Plyometric exercises are a mainstay for building functional strength
Where Vert Shock Falls Short:
- The purchasing experience should be simplified
- We would rather the purchase price increase and include all the features of Vert Shock rather than have several add-on purchase options
Who Should Buy Vert Shock?
Vert Shock is a great program for basketball players who struggle to finish at the rim. We also recommend the Vert Shock program to players who do not have easy access to weights or a gym. Due to the emphasis on plyometrics, the Vert Shock program is less likely to cause injury when using proper form. This is our number one rated program for players with a history of knee injuries.
2. Jump Manual
Jump Manual was created by Jacob Hiller. It truly is the original breakout vertical jumping program on the internet. It has helped many aspiring players improve their vertical and overall athleticism by focusing on specific weight training techniques that unlock your max vertical.
At 12 weeks, this program is a full 4 weeks longer than the Vert Shock program. There are eight chapters within the Jump Manual training program. Each chapter focuses on a specific area related to improving your vertical jump. Included in the Jump Manual is a basic nutrition plan to help your body fuel for the best results. We believe diet to be one on the most underrated aspects of optimal performance, especially among young athletes.
Chapter 8 is the actual workout program that has helped many people gain 10+ inches to their vertical. We won’t promise that you’ll see that insane of a gain by doing this program, but we have no doubt that if you follow this program to the letter that you’ll obtain significant gains in your vertical.
What We Like About Jump Manual:
- Developed for those who are willing to work hard and hit the weight room
- Has a long track record with hundreds of satisfied customers, this gives the Jump Manual a good reputation
- Jacob Hiller is the real deal and you can see his insane leaping abilities on his website and on Youtube
- A 12 week program is longer and allows for your body to recover and obtain greater vertical jumping gains
Where Jump Manual Falls Short:
- The program has not been updated in many years, we’d like to see Mr. Hiller update his program to include the most up to date theories and strategies when it comes to increasing your vertical
- Videos in the program are blurry and old. This makes the program look out of date. Vert Shock’s presentation and HD videos make Jump Manual look a bit amateurish.
- Requires a gym and heavy lifting, may be high risk to those who are injury prone
Who Should Buy Jump Manual?
Jump Manual is the most hardcore vertical jumping program there is. If you have a durable body, strength train, and have not experienced serious injury, then we’d recommend giving Jump Manual a try. Anyone with a history of knee injuries should stay away as the lifting puts a heavy load on your knees.
Here is a little taste of what Jacob can do above the rim:
3. The Complete Vertical Jump Training System
One of the newest vertical jumping programs that has been released is the Complete Vertical Jump Training System by Coach Rock. For those unfamiliar Coach Rock is one the most well known and well respected voices in basketball training today. Through his use of social media and YouTube, he has amassed a huge following of fans.
Coach Rock has now created a program specifically tailored to increasing your vertical jump. His Complete Vertical Jump Training System includes three main training pillars. These include building a foundation on proper jumping mechanics, building the muscles you need to maximize your vertical through weightlifting and body weight training, and finally the explosive phase which focuses on plyometrics.
The Complete Vertical Jump Training System also includes six bonuses with your purchase. The bonuses include The Secret Cure to Jumper’s Knee, How to Dunk for the First Time, How to Land Properly, Jump Higher with Ball in Hand, In-Season Training, and Guide to Recovery.
What We Like About The Complete Vertical Jump Training System:
- Coach Rock is a serious basketball player and you can trust that this content is worth the money
- Reasonably priced at $67
- The Complete Vertical Jump Training Program is the most comprehensive vertical jumping program out there as it combines aspects of jumping technique, strength training, and plyometrics to achieve optimal results
- Comes with a lot of bonuses that will help you overall as a basketball player
Where The Complete Vertical Jump Training System Falls Short:
- Does not have the track record of some other vertical jump programs
Who Should Buy The Complete Vertical Jump Training System?
The Complete Vertical Jump Training System is great for those who want to increase their vertical without breaking the bank. If you are familiar with Coach Rock’s YouTube videos and find his coaching easy to understand, then you should strongly consider this program. Personally, we’d pick this vertical training program due to it having aspects of several training strategies including plyometrics, strength training, and jumping technique.
4. Bounce Guide
The Bounce Guide is the least well known of the four vertical jumping programs to make our best basketball training programs list. This program was created by Momir Gataric, who claims to have obtained his vertical of 44 inches by working with an Olympic track coach over one summer.
It is hard to ignore the dunks that Momir throws down on the promotional videos for his program. Bounce Guide separates itself from the other vertical jumping programs by focusing on four key components to jumping higher. These components include strength, speed, movement efficiency, and nutrition.
Unlike the Complete Vertical Training System, Bounce Guide begins with strength training and plyometrics and then works it’s way to working on jumping techniques. The program lasts 10 weeks and currently costs $50, which is affordable for a vertical training program like Bounce Guide.
What We Like About Bounce Guide:
- Comprehensive program that accounts for all aspects of vertical jumping
- Training derived from Olympic coach
- At $50, this is one of the most affordable vertical jumping programs available
Where Bounce Guide Falls Short:
- Focuses on strength training first then jumping technique, we feel that this is backward
- Momir Gataric is not a well known name in the basketball realm like Jacob Hiller and Coach Rock, so there is less trust for those considering the Bounce Guide program
Who Should Buy Bounce Guide?
We feel that Bounce Guide is best for those who are looking for a vertical jumping program that is affordable and effective. However, if you are willing to spend a bit more money we’d recommend opting for the Complete Vertical Training System as it is more comprehensive and is taught by a well respected basketball guru.
BoB’s Pick: Vert Shock
At the end of the day Adam Folker has created the best vertical jumping program for the money. The Vert Shock Program is set up in a way that allows you to build on the foundations of jumping through low impact activities that can done anywhere at anytime. This makes sense as it will get your body ready to get strong without making you more susceptible to injuries.
While we like the other programs we feel that not requiring gym equipment sets the Vert Shock Program apart. The results seen by users of the program are undeniable and we are confident that if you complete the Vert Shock program you will improve your vertical by several inches and be a better basketball player as a result.