- 50 and 54 inch backboard versions that are both made of acrylic
- Infinity Edge backboard design that connects directly to the support frame for greater stability
- Some parts come preassembled allowing for this basketball hoop to be fully assembled in about 90 minutes
- Stabili-Frame which directly connects support pole to steel undercarriage beneath the base
- Light-duty spring-loaded rim that can take on light dunking only
For many years Silverback, a basketball hoop brand by Escalade Sports, has been a speciality manufacturer of high quality mid-level in-ground basketball hoops. Recently the Silverback brand has made the move into the portable basketball hoop market with the all-new Silverback NXT Portable Basketball Hoop.
The Silverback NXT Hoop is different than pretty much any portable basketball hoop we’ve reviewed to date. Silverback really went all out with their research and development to really create something unique and different. In this review we’ll try to break down some of the things that make the NXT so special.
For us the most radical change from other portable hoops and the Silverback NXT is the infinity backboard.
The actual support braces are connected directly to the four corners of the backboard, which works to increase stability and limit vibrations. Early users report that this unique design does in fact improve stability for such a nimble basketball system.
Users also have mentioned that the Silverback NXT Portable Hoop is also significantly quieter to other portable basketball systems.
The backboard itself is not much different than typical portable basketball hoops. For the Silverback NXT Portable Basketball System, the backboard comes in either 50 or 54 inches and is made from acrylic. Acrylic as we’ve mentioned in our ultimate hoop buying guide is a good mid-level backboard material.
As thousands of people with first-hand experience can attest, assembling a portable basketball hoop can be a real pain. A real added-value of the Silverback NXT Basketball Hoop is that it comes with several pre-assembled parts and full assembly is said to only take 90 minutes!
That’s significantly less time than it took me to put together the Shaq Cyber Hoop Shot Arcade Game let alone a full size hoop. Silverback recommends having two people to put together this basketball hoop. Early users have confirmed that the NXT does take 90 minutes to two hours at most.
Having a quality rim on a portable basketball hoop is obviously an important feature since this is the most utilized piece of a basketball system. The Silverback NXT Portable Basketball Hoop has a mid-level spring loaded rim that has a light-duty cover.
This will help protect the spring and internal components of the rim from rusting over time. However, do not think this is a gym quality rim because it is not. We do not recommend anything beyond light dunking, as hanging on the rim will probably damage it over time.
Another area where the Silverback NXT excels is in overall hoop stability. This is due to several design elements. First, the infinity backboard enhances stability as we previously mentioned. Also, the support pole attaches to a steel undercarriage that is beneath the base of the hoop. This adds more stability as well.
What We Like About This Hoop
- Fastest assembly for any portable basketball hoop
- Unique infinity backboard design enhances stability and the bounce off the backboard
- Support pole attaches directly to a steel undercarriage
- Easy to transport with two wheels and the ErgoMove base design
What Would Make This Hoop Better
- Rim is pretty average quality
- Price is a bit more expensive than similar portable basketball hoops
Best Outdoor Basketball Rating
Silverback NXT Portable Basketball System: (4.8 / 5)